On Tuesday, 18-06-2024 at 09:44 Vitold S wrote:
> Good news everyone,
>
> Sorry that the question may have already been clarified earlier, but
I am
> not a regular member of the user mailing list, so I ask it again.
>
> Every time I download the Debian image, I am faced with a moral
disorder
> and philosophically go on a historical journey into the past, so
that I can
> remember and dive deeply into memory during the times of using CDs.
>
> Today in my environment I can be faced with a CD only for scaring
away
> birds or as an intricate amulet on teenagers’ backpacks as a
reference to
> the era of their parents, but not for recording images. Let's say,
is this
> my particular progressive experience, or do people still find the
discs to
> be as functional as ever?

If by CD you mean CD/DVD/BD then, I still have use for them in the
following ways...

> More and more I see that people usually use USB flash drives
everyday and
> some large companies (like Microsoft) today provide an image with a
USB
> stick.

1) I use DVD ISO images to create a bootable USB flash drive. Super
easy to do. I do not know how to do this with BD images, so if you do,
please let me know.
# ls -hal /dev/sd*
# cp CentOS-7-x86_64-Everything-2009.iso /dev/sdf

2) While small, I do have a collection of movie CDs, SVCDs, DVDs and
BDs that I can watch. Though to be realistic, I would prefer to have
these as files on the computer.

3) I have a several older computers which have CD/DVD drives by which
I can install from.  However, once again, if find booting from a USB
is usually much easier.

4) I also create Virtual Machines on a regular basis, and use DVD ISO
images to do so. For this I prefer the ease of use of an ISO image.

5) There are some versions of Debian that I keep an entire DVD set of
ISO images, so even when Mirrors are not available, or no longer
supported, I can still build a complete system.

> Is there a chance to change in next versions i.e. Debain 13 or other
> versions an assembly specifically for a USB flash drive as primary
> download? Do you think the time has come? When do you think this
moment
 > will happen?

While I would prefer not to see CD/DVD/BDs become extinct, it seems to
be inevitable that one day they will. Please do not hasten their
demise.