On Fri, Jun 21, 2024 at 09:32:10 +0700, Max Nikulin wrote:
> On 20/06/2024 11:52, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > "the system's
> > time zone" (of which some, me included, say "there's no such thing",
> > and others disagree 🙂
>
> What term is appropriate in your opinion do describe the setting stored as
> the /etc/localtime symlink? localtime(5)

I've been using "system default time zone", for lack of a better phrase.
I feel it's important to convey that this is *not* a global setting that
affects "the system" in some universal way.  Like, for example, changing
where /etc/localtime points will (probably) *not* change the behavior
of any programs that are already running.  Nor will it change the behavior
of any programs that have the TZ environment variable set, or any that
simply ignore time zones and write everything in UTC or TAI64 or whatever.

It's just a default that many, but not all, programs may use when they run.