On 23/6/24 12:08, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
On Sat, Jun 22, 2024, 11:02 AM Stefan Monnier <monn...@iro.umontreal.ca <mailto:monn...@iro.umontreal.ca>> wrote:

     > Yes, I realise that. The times are being displayed by the gettys,
     > controlled by the /etc/issue format string.  Jobs are being run
     > by cron, logs written by rsyslogd, and so on. And the term is … ?

    Maybe there simply isn't such a term.  The subject is sufficiently
    complex/delicate that there can't be a term for every single situation.

I think we are losing sight of the fact that all of timekeeping is an abstraction and over-generalization. Time zones were created to help regularize railroad schedules over wide areas. Timezones are an abstraction that permit us to _pretend_ that it is (physical) noon at the same clock time over an extended area. When in fact physical high- noon, determined by the sun's position in the sky, cannot be at the exact same time just a few centimeters west or east of my eyeballs.

             Stefan

I can't resist.

Have you ever pondered why the 'international date line' is so convoluted?

I reckon it would have been (almost) straight if UTC was set about 11° west of it's current position.

Any chance of fixing it?   Probably even less now that UK has left the EU.

As for odd time zones, we have a narrow one, somewhere between the West Australian border (with Sth Aust) and the first notable town on the road West - Norseman. It's 45 mins different from Sth Aust and the a further 45 mins to main stream West Aust. There might be 10,000 people live within it. I think that somewhere is Baledonia. I'll check next time I drive over, but that'll be sometime next year, if I'm lucky.

--
All the best

Keith Bainbridge

keithr...@gmail.com