On Sun 23 Jun 2024 at 12:52:55 (+1000), Keith Bainbridge wrote:

> Have you ever pondered why the 'international date line' is so convoluted?

Only on the odd occasion when an area decides to cross it, for
whatever reason. Like Samoa recently. And before that, the
creation of Pacific/Kiritimati (+14:00), which became a press
story at the start of the new millennium.

> As for odd time zones, we have a narrow one, somewhere between the
> West Australian border (with Sth Aust) and the first notable town on
> the road West - Norseman. It's 45 mins different from Sth Aust and the
> a further 45 mins to main stream West Aust.  There might be 10,000
> people live within it.

$ TZ=Pacific/Kiritamati date; TZ=Australia/Eucla date
Sun Jun 23 04:24:54 Pacific 2024
Sun Jun 23 13:09:54 +0845 2024
$

Cheers,