On 6/22/24 10:37, Richard Owlett wrote:
I ask about i386 Debian Live because I have a fine operational Sony laptop that currently runs Debian 9.0 and has a $20 price tag on its bottom.

This machine has option to boot Debian 11 with an AMD64 kernel.
I routinely run Debian 9.13 because its configuration is comfortable (i.e. useful).

I have 2 other laptops which will have something >= Debian 12 before I abandon this machine.

On 6/22/24 10:49, Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 06/22/2024 12:13 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> On 6/22/24 09:57, David Christensen wrote:
>>> Rather than creating a customized Debian Live image, I install
>>> Debian onto a USB flash drive or onto a 2.5" SATA SSD connected via
>>> a USB-SATA adapter cable:
>>
>> +1
>>
>> It's pretty easy to make a simple Debian install on some old USB key
>> you have lying around and it comes really handy.
>
> Relevant laptop is so old I don't know if it can boot from a physical
> USB device. I was suspecting that simplest thing would be copying
> suitable image to hard drive and let GRUB earn its keep ;}

So, the Sony laptop has Debian 9.13 i386 installed on the HDD/SSD?

Debian 9 LTS support ended on 01 Jul 2022:

https://endoflife.date/debian

If the Sony laptop can boot Debian 11 amd64 via CD, it should be able to boot an amd64 OS via USB. I suggest copying debian-12.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso to a USB flash drive and trying to boot it. If it works, you can decide if you want to use d-i, if you want to burn a live distribution to a USB device, and/or if you want to install Debian onto a USB device.

David