On Wed, 2024-07-03 at 03:37 +0800, CToID wrote:
> I wonder if any of you who is using an AMD GPU (especially newer
> ones)
> has encountered the same problem as I do.
>
> My problem is that sometimes the screen just freezes entirely, and I
> have to switch to another TTY and back in order to get it unstuck.

I have a similar problem (with KDE). I upgraded from Debian 10 to
Debian 12.5. Then I discovered that the NVidia driver for my old GF108
graphics card is no longer available. I spent a few hours trying to
compile it, but eventually gave up. Many of the "include" files have
been moved to different directories, so the paths for them in the code
are wrong. I created a few dozen soft-links from a re-created directory
with the names the codes expected. When I finally got them all, there
were inscrutable fatal errors having nothing to do with not finding the
headers, things like "wrong number of arguments." So I gave up and
reverted to the nouveau driver.

I updated another computer with an NVidia Quadro graphics card. NVidia
says the Debian nvidia-driver package works -- but it's not part of the
default net-install, and apt-get refuses to install it. And it refuses
to install the nvidia-tesla drivers. I gave up on compiling the drivers
I downloaded directly from NVidia, for the same reasons. And a laptop.
So they're running nouveau too (and occasionally freezing).

Does nouveau cause the freezes?