On 07/18/2024 01:16 AM, Alain D D Williams wrote:
On Thu, Jul 18, 2024 at 06:06:05AM +0000, Russell L. Harris wrote:
When I try to visit www.chewy.com a blank page.  This is a major pet
supply web site.  Other web sites display as usual without problems.
I phoned CHEWY and they say their system is on-line.

I have tried two different computers and both Firefox and Chromium.  I
updated Debian-12.  I emptied the browser cache.  No change.

A week or two ago, chewy.com displayed perfectly.

My ISP is RTA.  I am in a rural area near Austinn, Texas, and have a
10/1 microwave link.  Could the problem be with RTA?

Would someone kindly verify that chewy.com is accessible?

HTTP code 429 means "Too Many Requests (RFC 6585)"

$ curl --head https://www.chewy.com/
HTTP/2 429
content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8
[ *SNIP* what I couldn't understand ]

SeaMonkey 2.49.4 on Debian 9.13 *CAN* display that page.
[establishes that old vs new client side software in not the issue]

HOWEVER I can duplicate your symptom.
Due to personal needs/preferences I surf with many disabled options
[including JavaScript and cookies].

My test procedure was:
Opened https://www.chewy.com/ .
   I got a blank page and SeaMonkey's status line said "Done"
Closed window.
Enabled JavaScript.
Opened https://www.chewy.com/ .
   I got a blank page with sets of "transferring data"/"Done" messages
   SeaMonkey's status line then said "Done"
   The screen remained blank with mouse cursor indicating activity.
   SeaMonkey displayed message box titled "Unresponsive script" saying:
> A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding.
     > You can stop the script now, open the script in the debugger, or let
     > the script continue.
     >
> Script: https://www.chewy.com/149e9513…TQ5N2EtYTYyNC0wNTMxZjg5NjJkZjI:27
   I opened the debugger and got a tool I don't know how to use. It was
     apparent that it gave enough information that a knowledgeable user
     could diagnose the exact failure mode.
Closed window.
Enabled JavaScript *and* cookies
Opened https://www.chewy.com/ .
   I got a perfectly normal page.

I'm assuming the "Unresponsive script" box is SeaMonkey's response to a "HTTP code 429".

Hope this helps.