On 18 Jul 2024 13:47 -0400, from cele...@gmail.com (Celejar):
>> I don't mean this to be snarky, but that desire seems incompatible
>> with running Debian sid. I honestly think it's an unreasonable
>> expectation to want official guides for every transitory broken
>> state in a development tree.
>
> That's fair. I think I meant more that I was just going to stick with
> 6.9.8 until this gets sorted out, rather than muck around and deviate
> from the default kernel / initrd build settings without official
> documentation of the process.

The process for doing that is setting up an apt pin either to force
the kernel packages to a particular, known good version, or to block
installation of a particular, problematic version of the kernel
packages.

I agree with what others have already said. If you're running Sid,
problems are par for the course, and you're expected to be able to
either help fix those issues (by filing and collaborating about bug
reports against the affected packages, and maybe contributing patches
to fix issues that you run across), solve those problems on your own
system (and ideally submit patches), or wait them out until the
package maintainers fix them (either based on bug reports filed by
others, or by noticing the issue themselves). Sometimes more than one
of those. Yes, maybe it'll work out great with the particular set of
packages you have installed; all the more power to you in that case.
Over time that becomes ever more unlikely, though, because at one
point or another any package is going to be involved in some sort of
major transition (the switch to a 64-bit time_t, a major libc upgrade,
a default init system change, or whatever else might happen as time
goes on).

--
Michael Kjörling                     🔗 https://michael.kjorling.se
“Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”