Ash Joubert wrote:

> On 2024-07-19 02:32, Celejar wrote:
>
>     I'm currently on kernel 6.9.8 (amd64 / Sid). Installing 6.9.9 fails due to
>     running out of space on /boot:
>     update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-6.9.9-amd64
>     zstd: error 70 : Write error : cannot write block : No space left on
> device
>     E: mkinitramfs failure zstd -q -9 -T0 70
>     update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-6.9.9-amd64 with 1.
>     It turns out that the initrd for 6.9.9 is more than 7x the size of the
>     one for 6.9.8!
>

> I had the same problem. The cause is not the kernel upgrade but the
> refactoring of non-free firmware packages. firmware-misc-nonfree now
> recommends firmware-nvidia-graphics, causing it to be installed:
>

> $ apt-cache show firmware-misc-nonfree
> [...]
>
> Recommends: firmware-nvidia-graphics, firmware-intel-graphics,
> firmware-intel-misc, firmware-mediatek
>

> I am not using an nvidia gpu so the fix for me was:
>
> apt-get purge firmware-nvidia-graphics
>

> There was NEWS when I dist-upgraded:
>
> $ zcat /usr/share/doc/firmware-misc-nonfree/NEWS.Debian.gz
> firmware-nonfree (20230625-3~exp1) experimental; urgency=medium
>
>   Several firmware files were moved from firmware-misc-nonfree into
>   their own package:
>   - firmware-nvidia-graphics: This package now holds the firmware files for
>     Nvidia GPU hardware.
>   - firmware-intel-graphics: This package now holds the firmware files
>     for Intel Graphics Media Driver chips (mostly i915) as found in
>     'modern' Intel CPUs with integrated graphics in the Broadwell and
>     the various 'Lake' CPU series.
>
> - firmware-intel-misc: This package now holds the firmware files for Intel
> devices and chips which do not belong in one of the other Intel firmware
>
>     packages. These devices/chips include for example Omni-Path devices,
>     Ethernet/Network chips/devices and QuickAssist Technology crypto
>     accelerators.
>   - firmware-mediatek: This package now holds the firmware files for
>     devices and chips made by MediaTek and Ralink, which is part of
>     MediaTek.
>
> -- Diederik de Haas <didi.deb...@cknow.org> Thu, 18 Jan 2024 14:00:00 +0100

Thanks much! *This* type of answer is why I posted here instead of
going straight to the BTS - none of the messages prior to this one
provided any insight as to why I was hitting the problem now, while
other distros had hit it months ago, or where the problem really lay.
As per another message in this thread, I've already filed a bug against
linux-image-6.9.9-amd64, but I suppose I should update the report with
this information, indicating that it's not really a problem with that
package.

--
Celejar