On Fri 02 Aug 2024 at 09:40:44 (+1000), George at Clug wrote:
> On Friday, 02-08-2024 at 00:48 David Wright wrote:
> > >
> > > It would be *extremely* unusual to want to consult DNS before /etc/hosts.
> > > I recommend leaving files first unless you have a *really* good reason
> > > to switch them.
> > >
> > > I have no comment on mdns4_minimal because I don't really know what that
> > > is.
> >
> > AIUI mdns4_minimal is for devices that configure themselves using
> > multicast DNS on .local. If you put dns first, then the names of any
> > .local devices will be leaked out of your LAN and on to the Internet's
> > DNS servers. [NOTFOUND=return] is what prevent that happening IF you
> > leave the order alone.

Can I tighten that up: names that resolve shouldn't leak; it's names
that don't resolve, which would be passed onwards for DNS to resolve,
that would leak.

> > (BTW don't use .local for your LAN domain name.)
>
> Why is that? (recently I was starting to believe I should stop using the
> domain names I had chosen, and start using (what I thought was) the standard
> of .local)

  https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc6762.txt

explains what .local is for.

> Is it your personal preference, or a technical necessity?
>
> What is best practice for a local LAN prefix? (I have never found conclusive
> instruction).

I've been in the habit of using .corp after reading:

  https://www.icann.org/resources/board-material/resolutions-2018-02-04-en#2.c

but I don't think that decision is set in stone, and certainly
RFC 8375 now recommends .home.arpa for residences, so that's
a better bet.

> It is my belief that .local is a MS idea originating from the configuration
> of their servers. Is this correct?

Most of what I've read has credited Apple with this, not Microsoft.

Cheers,
David.