On Sat, Aug 3, 2024 at 1:41 AM Jeffrey Walton  wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 2, 2024 at 10:35 PM Lee wrote:

> > > I do. If you assign an IP and a DNS name to the IP, all the
> > > network printers I am aware of will work just fine. (They don't
> > > care about the DNS name, either, but it's more convenient if you
> > > don't want to remember the IP.)
> >
> > Yep, a static IP address is assigned via DHCP and the name exists in
> > DNS.  Now what?
> >
> > if it's not obvious, I know appx. zip about linux administration, so
> > hints about what to do after assigning a name and address would be
> > appreciated.
>
> As far as DNS goes, the only hosts that require a static IP address
> are your DNS servers. Just about everything else can get an address
> from DHCP, including file servers, mail servers and print servers.

But the DHCP assigned address doesn't have to be randomly assigned
from "the free pool."
I like having each machine be assigned the same address each time.  If
nothing else, when something shows up in the firewall logs it's
trivial to figure out which machine was the problem child.
And if something does show up that was assigned from the free pool..
it's always turned out to be something new my wife didn't mention.

  <.. snip ..>
> If you are interested in some good reading on Unix & Linux networking,
> then pick up a copy of W. Richard Stevens' TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume
> I: The Protocols (<https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201633469>). It is a
> great book to learn from. Stevens gives you plenty of command line
> examples to demonstrate concepts.

I've got it, but I preferred Internetworking with TCP/IP by Douglas
Comer - a three volume set; volume 1 was my reference manual for ages.

Regards,
Lee