Hi,

I'm a Debian KDE end-user from years, but in your post there are too many topics! Try to write an email for each of these.

On 22/08/24 at 19:20, DdB wrote:
Beloved debian users,

  After years of using GNOME (even back in my Ubuntu-days), i got fed up
with the ever changing behavior, which came on top of "development
politics". And since i was/am still on buster, i decided to move forward
to bookworm-KDE. But i am old and slow. It really took me a month to get
a sort of minimal version up and running. I call this step:
proof-of-concept. Now comes the harder part: to really take control of
this desktop, not like a developer, but as a user. (I am currently
evaluating to make use of ansible and redo the whole setup, but in a
reproducible way.)

  Several issues are bugging me:
1. I can't get Window rules to work, neither for wayland nor for x11, i
seem to be doing those wrong.
Do you mean that you have trouble using tools like xdotool or xprop?

2. I would really like to have a clickable menu only with my own
commands/scripts in it, preferably in one single file, not spread out
over many. Is such a thing available?
The only tool I know to rearrange KDE's menu is "kmenuedit"

3. Some applications are not listed by wmctrl -l as if they were not
managed by the window manager, therefore i cannot move them around in my
scripts (and windows rules ... i told ya)
Here wmctrl seems works fine in Xorg do you use Wayland?

4. True story: after just one day of living in the new environment, it
crashed hard, all the open applications were gone. Could be a strange
are incident, in buster, i had such a thing happen to me only about 4
times per year!
Me too had instability issue, I solved that changing the default setup, It may depend on driver, acceleration, compositor…

Apart from the huge UI change, i also changed the root filesystem (it is
zfs now, i used to have my data in it before, but this time, it is
more). To achieve this, i went with zbm (zfsbootmanager) instead of
grub. tbh: currently, i still use both, switching at least twice per day.

And i got my VPN client working in KDE, only the iptable rules to
protect me from acidental leaks (kill switch) need to be reinstalled
after every boot. How to make them permanent the right way?

That's it for today, any comment/hint/suggestion warmly welcome, DdB

Too many topics

Cheers
--
Franco Martelli