rpib runniing bookworm. Private net. rt-preempt kernel. Security is a closed garage door and lead projectiles for unwanted guests.

xfce4 desktop, running linuxcnc, which controls all 255 volt power to an 11x56" lathe with several horsepower at its disposal. New install, came across a dangerous situation yesterday.

Basically using the lathe as a jig to hold a long piece I was tapping by hand, powered up but stopped. screen blanker came on and locked me out till I logged back in leaving linuxcnc live but hidden behind a black screen. This is a dangerous condition if he wrong key is hit to wake it up.

That monitor AND the idling rpi4b draw about 22 watts, and is turned off only for maintenance. UPS, standby generator, uptimes might be years.

Replacing a CRT power hungry monitor means the only reason to blank a screen and interpose a login is security against prying eyes in an office environment.

Soooo, what do I remove to absolutely, permanently disable the screen blanker? And I mean no chance it can ever do that to me again.

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett, CET.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis