On Sun 01 Sep 2024 at 01:05:21 (-0400), gene heskett wrote:
> On 8/31/24 22:58, David Wright wrote:
> > And so should we assume Gene's report that he needs to actually login
> > again after the screen locks itself is likely caused by confusing the
> > unlocking screen with a login screen? Being DE-less, I haven't seen
> > either screen, and am unable to make a judgment, but several webpages
> > mentioned that confusion.
>
> Picking nits David, the effect is exactly the same, plus 2-4 seconds
> to actually restore the screen to the linuxcnc control gui. Presumably
> the pi has to pull the gui back out of swap or cache, which is
> potentially dangerous which is reason enough to disable it forever. I
> have not gotten around to moving that stuff to a much faster SSD on a
> USB3 interface. Even a 128GB u-sd is slower by far.

AIUI there's a range of behaviours that the Power Manager controls,
things like blanking, standby, screensaver programs, monitor-off and
locking, amongst others.

What I haven't seen unambiguously mentioned is forced logoff, and
I can't see a reason why there necessarily would be, because I think
of forced logoff as something used when a resource is in contention;
like when there were 1000+ dumb teminals in a university connected
to a front-end that could handle, say, 250 simultaneous logins.

So if the behaviour you report /is/ actually locking, and not logoff,
you are saved the business of wondering whether there's still a
feature that your Power Manager settings haven't allowed you to
control and that you've got to find.

When I was driving a travelling stage around, underneath a laser and an
optical microscope, I didn't worry about screen blanking because in an
emergency, I could hit any active key before I'd even noticed whether
the screen was black or not. Understand, the monitor was fully powered
up, but the phosphor wasn't glowing. Under normal conditions, I'd
unblank the screen with Ctrl, as that didn't send any action to the
programs running: these programs were completely unaware that the
screen was blanked.

Of course, you should test whether the same is true for the Power
Manager settings you choose, and retest after any upgrades, but
I understand that never blanking anything may be your preference.

Cheers,
David.