On 09/08/2024 12:12 PM, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:

On 09/08/2024 12:17 PM, Steve McIntyre wrote:
debian-u...@howorth.org.uk wrote:
Richard Owlett <rowl...@access.net> wrote:
[My examples are from my experiments with re-formatting
text at https://ebible.org/engkjvcpb/ for comfortable reading by
fellow tri-focal wearing senior citizens
As a mere bifocal (well vari-focal) wearer can I suggest a different
approach. Stop wearing tri-focals or any other variable focus specs for
reading a computer screen. Tell them to get a [very cheap] pair of
single focus reading glasses made to suit the distance their screen is
away.

I did this years ago and wouldn't try to do it any other way now. The
bliss of being able to read the whole screen comfortably without moving
if I want to.
100% agreed. When I started with varifocals 3 years ago, my optician
strongly recommended also getting a set of fixed-focus glasses for
monitor work. Despite the inconvenience of carrying multiple pairs of
glasses, I totally understand why - it makes a huge difference when
I'm sat in front of the screen for hours at a time.

I concur. My computer glasses have removed a lot of monitor fatigue.

I'm very nearsighted with a significant astigmatism correction.
For general use I wear my tri-focals.
For computer/desk use I have a pair of bi-focals as the correction needed for looking at screen is enough different than that for looking at notes on my desktop [or keyboard ;].