On Wed 30 Sep 2026 at 10:53:38 (-0400), Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > What's the 'right' way to set a system's domain name permanenty (i.e.
> > doesn't get lost when you reboot) on Debian systems?
> 
> Over the years, I've grown to realize tat this is fundamentally
> ill-defined: the domain name is the way to find the IP address of a host
> you want to connect to.  The machine itself doesn't necessarily
> have/need/use that info: some machines don't have any domain name, some
> have several, the domain name(s) can change without the machine being
> told, ...

I don't understand not having any domain name. Surely the hostname
is a domain name in itself. I ran my network for years like that,
and exim (as set up by Debian) would moan about the lack of a dot
in /etc/mailname.

I only added .corp when I found that there was semi-official
documentation for using that. I chose it in preference to .home
and .mail merely because  grepping -r '\<corp\>' /etc  produced
fewest false positives. Current false positives here are:

  home: 173     mail: 162     corp: 0

I haven't yet bothered to move to .home.arpa. Maybe sometime.

> IME, most cases where a piece of software wanted to know "the host's
> domain name" it was either "wrong" (it didn't actually need to know) or
> it could use any "unique enough" name.  So it might be worth digging
> further into your problem to see if you can push it elsewhere: instead
> of "set[ting] the system's domain name", make sure the software
> doesn't need that domain name.

Doesn't it pay to have a backstop?

Cheers,
David.

Reply via email to