Is there some central way in debian to build source packages with certain compiler options forced on?

I have a few PPC machines here, PPC601 to be precise, and those CPUs have quite a few instructions left over as part of the POWER chips that they derived from; instructions that no other PPC chips have (they were removed in the next of the PPCs apparently). As something to play with, I'd like to be able to compile some packages with the gcc options to compile for PPC601 only, which should give me binaries that use the extra POWER instructions in the 601 if they're any use.

Would I need to download a source .deb for each package and edit each one manually in different ways to add in that option (-mcpu=601) or is there a better way?

I don't expect to get some massive increase in speed that brings a Powermac 6100 up to P4 level, but mostly want to play around for curiosity and learning's sake :)

thanks,
dana
--
http://www.danamania.com/