On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 17:31:00 -0700
"Monique Y. Herman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 2004-02-18, Jacob S. penned:
> >
> > There is something called "round-robin dns", among other things, for
> > the purpose of having multiple machines answer queries for the same
> > domain name. This is used for domains where web and e-mail traffic
> > is heavy enough that one server can't handle the load. It's not
> > typically used (or useful) for things like ssh and can cause a lot
> > of problems if the servers aren't setup right.
>
> This is a good point.  I don't know much (anything) about round-robin
> implementation.

The theory is really pretty simple... It just means your dns server is
setup to automatically rotate the order in which it returns the ip
addresses of various servers that answer for the domain in question.
It's not uncommon to see a domain that has multiple IPs/servers hosting
their website - cnn.com is an example - do "host cnn.com" from the
command line.

> I suspect, though, in the case of the OP, that if you don't know why
> your machines are answering to the same FQDN, they probably shouldn't
> be.  Assuming you're the admin, of course.

Exactly. On both counts.

Jacob

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #63:
Microsoft has combined the strengths of its three most powerful
operating systems to create its next generation operating system:
Windows CE+ME+NT

As hard as a rock and as dumb as a brick!
http://www.6texans.net/img/msc.jpg