Hello

Olle Eriksson (<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> What is the difference between the kernel source from kernel.org and
> the Debian kernel-source-* packages? The only thing I can find about
> that is some discussion from 1997 concluding that there is no
> difference except that the debian packages handles the /usr/src/linux
> symlink for you. Sorry if I am missing some obvious docs now.

Take a look at the changelog.Debian.gz that is included in the package.
It will tell you about the differences between the Debian package and
the original kernel source. The kernel-source-2.4.18 package from Woody
for example includes a lot of secuity fixes for problems that were
discovered in the last two years, after 2.4.18 was originally released.

> And, about that /usr/src/linux symlink. I have installed new kernels
> from the kernel-source packages a few times and I have never seen this
> symlink on my system. Is it safe to be without it?

Yes. You will notice when you need it - mostly for compiling drivers,
but in most of that cases you can tell the configure script/make where
the kernel source/kernel headers are.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--