On 2004-02-19, Olle Eriksson penned:
> Hi
>
> What is the difference between the kernel source from kernel.org and
> the Debian kernel-source-* packages? The only thing I can find about
> that is some discussion from 1997 concluding that there is no
> difference except that the debian packages handles the /usr/src/linux
> symlink for you.  Sorry if I am missing some obvious docs now.
>
> And, about that /usr/src/linux symlink. I have installed new kernels
> from the kernel-source packages a few times and I have never seen this
> symlink on my system. Is it safe to be without it?
>
> The reason I am asking is that I am in the process of downloading the
> source for 2.6.3 from kernel.org and install it on my unstable system.
>
> Thanks Olle Eriksson

Hrm, 1997.  That's quite a while ago =)

Here's an example of what Debian has done in their 2.4.24 package:

http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/k/kernel-source-2.4.24/kernel-source-2.4.24_2.4.24-2/changelog

If you want to see more details, pull down the source package and read
README.Debian.

I haven't had a /usr/src/linux symlink in years, and so far it hasn't
bitten me.  So far.

I have, however, pulled the source from kernel.org in the past, and that
worked fine, too.

Debian kernel packages tend to have some patches that the upstream
version didn't, but otherwise, there's no special magic that I know of.

--
monique