On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 01:22:36PM -0500, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> I'm using Debian's 2.6.4 kernel on an Pentium-3 machine.  I'm having
> problems with udev in that it doesn't seem to identify any of my CDROM or
> DVD drives.
>
> Hotplug installs the appropriate modules, and I can mount
> /etc/udev/.dev/scd0 without taking any additional steps, but there is no
> entry in /dev that resembles a CD or DVD:
>
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/dev% find . | grep -E "(cd|sr)"
>   ./cdroms
>
> I don't even know where to begin to look.  Do other people use CDROMs and
> DVD-ROMs with udev?  Does it work without modification?

Being that you're using udev, the 'correct' solution would be to
create a udev rule to create an appropriate entry for your cd/dvdrom
drives. I, however, got lazy and instead just made symlinks from
/dev/scd0 to /dev/dvdrom. :) But if you're going to be 'fixing' it
anyway, you might as well do it the 'right' way and add appropriate
rules to your udev.conf.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837