On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 04:34:14PM -0500, Kirk Strauser wrote:
| At 2004-04-06T19:58:26Z, "s. keeling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
|
| > "less /sbin/MAKEDEV"
|
| Isn't that deprecated in udev?

I imagine it is.  After all, if you have a system for creating nodes
on-the-fly for devices that exist, then there is no need for a static
script to create all possible nodes.

If your device doesn't show up automatically (with any name, not
necessarily the name you wanted) then that means the driver for that
device isn't announcing the existance of the device via sysfs (/sys).
If this is the case, then the real (best) solution is to update the
device driver so that it does report the device via sysfs.  Barring
that, a simple workaround is to list the node, using the legacy major
and minor numbers, in /etc/udev/links.conf.  There are some examples
there already.  One example is the vesafb video driver (which I use).
To find out the major/minor numbers :
    $ ls -l /etc/udev/.dev/fb0
    crw--w--w-    1 root     tty       29,   0 2000-11-30 10:23 fb0
For this device, 29 is the major and 0 is the minor number.  (the 'c'
in the first column there indicates a character, not a block, device)
Therefore the entry in /etc/udev/links.conf is
    M fb0           c 29 0
By puting this line there, udev will always create that node with
those parameters regardless of whether or not the device actually
exists (and a driver in the kernel is handling it).

However, I expect that a SCSI disk to not have this problem.  Do you,
by any chance, have the file
    /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd
(or something very similar)?  If so, then that is your (scsi) cd
drive.  In this case, put the line
    L cdrom   scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd
in /etc/udev/links.conf and udev will create a symlink named 'cdrom'
to that (already-present) device node.

HTH,
-D

--
"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user' as
meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver."

www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/            jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]