On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 10:09:24PM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> I think that the "2-R" behaviour is more desirable, as it avoids 2 years
> without replacements in 2017 and 2018. Note that this isn't about the
> "2-R" rule as we could have the same behaviour by keeping the "2" rule
> and simply dropping the transitional measure (and passing the GR after
> 2015-01-01, or having a transitional measure that annihilates the
> expiring on 2015-01-01)

I think if the "2-R" behaviour is more desirable now, it's worthwhile
being a general rule so if we end up in the same situation in future,
it's still there. I'm still fairly indifferent between the two options
though (I think a committee of just Andi, Don and Keith would actually
be fine), personally; so my preference/vote would probably be "[2] ==
[2-R] > [2 but not until next year]", I guess.

However, another option would be "2-R'" where only retirements of people
who would otherwise be candidates for expiry count. So Russ quitting
after serving 5.8 years would count, but Colin resigning after serving
"just" 3.2 years wouldn't. That doesn't seem like it's especially easy
to specify either though.

What about avoiding all the ifs and buts and math and just giving
committee members a goal, and trusting them to figure out how to best to
adhere to it (and how to balance it against other goals like retaining
institutional memory or whatever)?

 Technical Committee members are encouraged to serve for a term of
 between three and six years.

If a committee member tried lurking about forever, that would still
provide a "we don't hate you, but it's time" justification for the ctte
to vote to remove a member, or the project as a whole to do so, which
is currently lacking.

I've picked three years as a lower bound, since that's how long both
Colin and I lasted, and six years as an upper bound since it gives a bit
more flexibility than five years and matches about how long Russ lasted.

Cheers,
aj