Hi Luca,

Am Thu, Apr 04, 2024 at 12:47:11PM +0100 schrieb Luca Boccassi:
> > As far as I know other major distributions do not undertake the time_t
> > 64bit transition (whether this marks leadership or not is questionable
> > but it will make us the leading distribution on those architectures in
> > future).
>
> Of course they are, most of the important work lately has been done by
> SUSE for example, to replace legacy components that will hopelessly
> break in 2038. Of course they have an advantage in not having to carry
> around dead architectures, so it's easier.

Thank you for the information.

> > I think we are doing a good job regarding CI with adding autopkgtests
> > (but we could do even better for sure).  I'm not informed about the
> > status of CI in other distributions and whether there exists something
> > like Salsa CI.  I'm positively convinced that Debian has reached a level
> > of complexity which makes CI tests mandatory for every important package
> > and I would love if we could do the lead here.
>
> OpenQA is used by other distros, both Fedora and SUSE use it. Fedora's
> source control system has a CI integrated with it that is similar to
> the one we have. Packit is even starting to make its way in upstream
> projects's CIs, we use it in systemd for example, so that upstream PRs
> also build and test Fedora packages in Fedora images. We do the same
> with Debian and autopkgtest btw.

Thanks again.  As I admitted in my platform I'm not well informed about
other distributions but I'm willing to become better informed to be able
to learn from others.

> > > That's the price we currently pay for being not a commercial entity,
> >
> > I fully subscribe to this statement.
>
> I don't think commercial entities have anything to do with this.
> Fedora is not a commercial entity (please, no FUD about RH) and yet it
> can take decisions and implement them just fine. It's entirely a
> question of self-organization and what rules we decide for the
> project.

Please don't get me wrong:  I do not consider Fedora a commercial
entity.  I simply subscribe the statement that we are facing some
problems in Debian since we are not a commercial entity.

> > I need to admit that I (currently) don't know much about Fedora (but I
> > hope I could fix this in the near future).  At Chemnitzer Linuxtage I
> > took the chance to talk to OpenSUSE and Nix about organisatorical
> > solutions.  There was no booth by Fedora I could show up.
>
> In short, Fedora project members elect a technical committee, FESCO.
> Project members can submit proposals to this committee for
> project-wide changes, which votes on whether to approve them or reject
> them. If they are approved, the committee and the proposer are
> empowered to enact the changes distro-wide - whether individual
> package maintainers like them or not. An approved proposal can fail
> and be rolled back for technical reasons (e.g.: unexpected issues crop
> up at implementation time), but not because random package maintainers
> practice obstructionism because they don't like the decision.

If you compare this to Debian what exactly is your proposal to change
for the better?

Kind regards
   Andreas.

--