On Fri, 5 Apr 2024 at 11:18, Andreas Tille <andr...@an3as.eu> wrote:

> Am Thu, Apr 04, 2024 at 02:41:00PM +0100 schrieb Luca Boccassi:
> > > Please don't get me wrong:  I do not consider Fedora a commercial
> > > entity.  I simply subscribe the statement that we are facing some
> > > problems in Debian since we are not a commercial entity.
> >
> > I think the framing is slightly misleading: it's true that a
> > commercial entity with a hierarchical structure would not have the
> > same issue, but the point I am making is that there's nothing stopping
> > a non-commercial entity from having a structure that allows the same
> > decision-making and executing, as proved by Fedora.
>
> Well, do you think well-respected members of our community who disagree
> with a change of structure are "nothing"?  In preparation of my platform
> I started kind of a test ballon inside DPT where I spotted something I
> considered wrong inside the team policy and suggested a change[1].
> There were a lot of positive responses and finally the change was
> accepted.  But even before this happened we've lost two major
> contributors[2] (leaving more or less silently) and [3].  I confirm I
> made mistakes in this process and hopefully learned from it.
>
> So we have to deal with people and changing a structure that has evolved
> over >30 years might be harder than in the case of other distributions
> with a different history.  IMHO changing a structure is harder than
> creating one from scratch.

That is answered in the bit you quoted below:

> _plus_ precise and explicit choices about project governance

Project governance is a choice, there's no law of physics that says it
has to be done one way or the other, even outside of a commercial
setting. Yes, it is harder to change than to start from scratch,
there's no doubt about it.

> > Hence, it's not
> > just the fact that Debian is not a commercial entity that leads to the
> > status quo, but the combination of not being a commercial entity
> > _plus_ precise and explicit choices about project governance.
>
> I'm kindly inviting everybody to join me in drafting a GR about this (no
> matter whether I might get elected or not).

Happy to help

> > > If you compare this to Debian what exactly is your proposal to change
> > > for the better?
> >
> > For starters there needs to be a decision on whether the status quo is
> > fine or change is needed. That is non-obvious, I have my opinion but
> > others will have theirs. It would mean the end of "my package is my
> > fiefdom", and a move towards collective maintenance.
>
> I share this opinion 100%.
>
> > From the organizational point of view, it would require a GR to change
> > in the constitution to enshrine the power to take technical decisions
> > and make them happen into a constitutional body - the CTTE will
> > probably say "no no no not us, please, no", but I'm pretty sure that's
> > exactly where such power should reside, especially because they don't
> > want it.
>
> I fail to see the logic in this "especially because they don't want it"
> but I agree that I see the potential decision making body in the CTTE.
> To say it clearly:  It should by no means be DPL (and I hope your logic
> does not apply to this statement as well. ;-P )

There's an old maxim about the people best suited to hold power being
those who want it the least or not at all, it was a quip made in that
general direction, no special meaning.

> > A procedure to submit proposals for discussion with the whole
> > project should be established (we already have the DEP process for
> > example), that ends with a vote of the decision makers body. And once
> > the body makes a technical strategy decision, them or whoever they
> > want to empower, can go and make it happen, without having to walk on
> > eggshells and dance around sacred cows - the time to dissent and
> > discuss is _before_ the decision is made, not _after_.
>
> To stick to one example I gave in an other thread on this list: Assuming
> we decided to move all packages on Salsa, I could start importing
> packages that are not on Salsa and upload these starting from the day
> after this decision without asking the maintainer?

Being empowered to execute a decision doesn't discount common
courtesy, so maintainers would be kept in the loop, but essentially
yes, that would be one example

> > In Fedora every
> > proposal must include a criteria to allow declaring that the game's a
> > bogey and plan to rollback, in case something goes wrong, but this is
> > again decided by the decision makers body.
>
> Interesting detail which is probably not feasible for every decision
> (since its hard to imagine how to roll back a "move all packages on
> Salsa" decision).

In that case it would probably be something along the lines of "it is
no longer mandatory"