Sean Whitton <spwhit...@spwhitton.name> writes:

> =====
> BEGIN FORMAL RESOLUTION TEXT

> tag2upload allows DDs and DMs to upload simply by using the
> git-debpush(1) script to push a signed git tag.

> 1. tag2upload, in the form designed and implemented by Sean Whitton and
>    Ian Jackson, and design reviewed by Jonathan McDowell and Russ
>    Allbery, should be deployed to official Debian infrastructure.

> 2. Under Constitution §4.1(3), we overrule the ftpmaster delegate's
>    decision: the Debian Archive should be configured to accept and trust
>    uploads from the tag2upload service.

> 3. Future changes to tag2upload should follow normal Debian processes.

> 4. Nothing in this resolution should be taken as requiring maintainers
>    to use any particular git or salsa workflows.

> END FORMAL RESOLUTION TEXT
> =====

Seconded.

The timing of this GR follows the schedule suggested by Joerg in
<87sexbl45e....@ganneff.de>.  The discussion is not getting anywhere, and
I don't see any evidence that it's going to get anywhere.  We're still
stuck on the same question that we were stuck on in 2019.

I could say a lot about process, and I expect there are a lot of process
arguments to come, but, to be frank, I am exhausted.  I am exhausted with
the burden of process being entirely on the side of people who just want
to deploy their work.  I am exhausted with trying to eke small progress
out of discussions being conducted in obvious bad faith.  There were so
many opportunities here for someone to say, "You have done a bunch of hard
work on this, I don't understand the problem you're trying to solve
clearly enough, and I have clearly misunderstood how much it matters to
you.  Give us a couple of weeks to review the design in detail and put
together a list of questions so that you can explain the things we don't
understand, and then we will try to understand the answers and give you a
clear yes or no decision."  And yet this never happened.

The GR is the only decision-making process that the project has that
produces a clear answer in a well-defined time frame.  If we don't like
that fact, that is something that is on those of us who are project
delegates to address.  In the meantime, if people want to penalize project
members for trying to get a clear decision in the well-defined way that
the project constitution says that they can, well, obviously I can't stop
you.  But please don't lose sight of how frustrating and draining it is to
be told you have to keep discussing something with no end or progress in
sight.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)              <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>