On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 18:36:42 +0100,
Thomas Lange<la...@cs.uni-koeln.de> wrote:

>Hi Andreas,
>
>I've removed those pages maily because they contain outdated obsolete
>content from very old releases and people put time into maintainig
>them, what I think is not worth it. I think it's sufficient to keep less
>information about these releases and only in english.
>
>I don't know if the translators missed the information.
>They may have a different opinion which information about old releases
>are usefull for our users.
>
>I don't think it's worth putting time into re-adding those pages or
>translating old web pages. In the past I saw multiple efforts of
>translators to work old security announcements for e.g.
>There are even efforts to translate voting web pages from 2010 and before.
>
>I would like to encourage translators to do work on more important
>(from my point of view) pages or topics. I think translators could do
>more review of content, and help finding outdated content, outdated
>manuals, broken links, obsolete listings off CD vendors, obsolete
>listings of vendors of pre-installed computers,....

Well, I thought that the pages were deleted to make the build faster,
but now you say that is not case, but to make people work on "more
important" pages.

I understand that point of view, but it seems pretty counter-intuitive
to remove translations for languages where there's 0 pages that are out
of date. If they were deleted to make the build
faster I would at least understand it.

Especially if the only reason is to make people translate more
important pages and not out of date stuff.

Deleting translations is a lousy motivator to get more pages translated.

(And yes, I do know that I can get the deleted files back from the git
repo, but as it is now I don't have much motivation to do so).

-- Andreas Rönnquist
mailingli...@gusnan.se
andr...@ronnquist.net
(please don't CC me, I read the list).