Brice Goglin <brice.gog...@ens-lyon.org> (07/02/2011):
> xorg depends on many more packages than xserver-xorg does. My
> understanding is: When you want the minimal stuff, you install
> xserver-xorg. When you want almost everything to get a "normal" X
> running, you install xorg. But I didn't check if there was still a
> point in not installing xorg recently.

I'm tempted to say that if people want something really minimal, they
should be able to install xserver-xorg-{core,input-foo,video-bar}. As
for x11-xkb-utils && xkb-data, they could be recommended/depended on
by the server (since xserver-xorg-core depends on xserver-xorg
currently).

Also, we could make xorg depend on stuff listed in xserver-xorg, and
only recommend other packages. This way, people can still use the xorg
metapackage to get everything installed by default. And those who want
something more minimal can still ignore the recommends?

xorg:
=====
libgl1-mesa-dri
libgl1-mesa-glx | libgl1
libglu1-mesa
x11-apps
x11-session-utils
x11-utils
x11-xfs-utils
x11-xkb-utils
x11-xserver-utils
xauth
xfonts-100dpi (>= 1:1.0.0-1)
xfonts-75dpi (>= 1:1.0.0-1)
xfonts-base (>= 1:1.0.0-1)
xfonts-scalable (>= 1:1.0.0-1)
xfonts-utils
xinit
xkb-data
xorg-docs-core
xterm | x-terminal-emulator

xserver-xorg:
libgl1-mesa-dri [RECOMMENDS]
libc6 (>= 2.7)
x11-xkb-utils
xkb-data (>= 1.4)
xserver-xorg-core (>= 2:1.9.0.901)
xserver-xorg-input-all | xorg-driver-input
xserver-xorg-input-evdev
xserver-xorg-video-all | xorg-driver-video

KiBi.