Hi Scott,

sorry - that reply just makes no sense:

a) >> When a DNS server returns a SOA record in response to a query, it
means that the queried resource doesn't exist. <<

No - in this case it means I specifically INSTRUCTED NSLOOKUP to return the
SOA as my sample showed:

>> set type=soa <<

b) >> If you go to
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup.ch?name=www3.grepel.de&type=A <<

Why would I do that?  Why www3?  Where you do get that name from?

c) My question was specific to:

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnstime.ch?name=grepel.de&type=SOA
http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=grepel.de

I expect BOTH of these to look for the SOA records, not for some imaginary
"www3" records.  Why else does DNSSTUFF let me specify
"name=grepel.de&type=SOA" ?

d) But, since I'm a good sport, I also tried to look up www3.grepel.de:

D:\>nslookup
> server m.root-servers.net.
Default Server:  m.root-servers.net
Address:  202.12.27.33

> www3.grepel.de.
Server:  m.root-servers.net
Address:  202.12.27.33

Name:    www3.grepel.de
Served by:
- AUTH03.NS.DE.UU.NET
          192.76.144.16
          de
- DNS.DENIC.de
          194.246.96.79
          de
- SUNIC.SUNET.SE
          192.36.125.2
          de
- SSS-AT.DENIC.de
          193.171.255.34
          de
- SSS-NL.DENIC.de
          193.0.0.237
          de
- SSS-DE1.DE.NET
          193.159.170.187
          de
- SSS-UK.DE.NET
          62.53.3.68
          de
- DNS2.DE.NET
          194.246.96.49
          de
- SSS-JP.DENIC.de
          210.81.13.179
          de
- SSS-US1.DE.NET
          206.65.170.100
          de

> server dns.denic.de.
Default Server:  dns.denic.de
Address:  194.246.96.79

> set type=a
> www3.grepel.de.
Server:  dns.denic.de
Address:  194.246.96.79

So again I ask - why can NSLOOKUP find the www3.grepel.de - but DNSSTUFF
can't?

Best Regards
Andy Schmidt

Phone:  +1 201 934-3414 x20 (Business)