sorry - that reply just makes no sense:

a) >> When a DNS server returns a SOA record in response to a query, it
means that the queried resource doesn't exist. <<

No - in this case it means I specifically INSTRUCTED NSLOOKUP to return the
SOA as my sample showed:

>> set type=soa <<
Why were you looking up a SOA record? :)

Unfortunately, the tool you used to look up the SOA record doesn't seem to easily distinguish between a "SOA Found" and "No SOA Found" response -- in this case it seems to have been the later. Note that the SOA record was for
Note that the SOA record that was returned was for .de, not .grepel.de.

b) >> If you go to
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup.ch?name=www3.grepel.de&type=A <<

Why would I do that?  Why www3?  Where you do get that name from?
That's so that you can see exactly what is happening -- that the root servers are returning a "no such record" answer. The root servers shouldn't know about www3.

c) My question was specific to:

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnstime.ch?name=grepel.de&type=SOA
http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=grepel.de

I expect BOTH of these to look for the SOA records, not for some imaginary
"www3" records.  Why else does DNSSTUFF let me specify
"name=grepel.de&type=SOA" ?
They do look for SOA records.

However, there are no SOA records for grepel.de. The confusion here is that when you look up the SOA record for grepel.de from nslookup/dig/etc, you *do* get a SOA record back -- but it is not the one you are looking for, and is part of a "not found" or "no such record" response.

> server dns.denic.de.
Default Server:  dns.denic.de
Address:  194.246.96.79

> set type=a
> www3.grepel.de.
Server:  dns.denic.de
Address:  194.246.96.79
This is why some people have a problem with nslookup -- if you don't use "set debug", you miss a lot of key information. Although in this case, "set debug" wouldn't be as helpful as it could, because dns.denic.de is returning responses that aren't obvious.

If grepel.de existed, the above query should return NS records for grepel.de.

So again I ask - why can NSLOOKUP find the www3.grepel.de - but DNSSTUFF
can't?
Because NSLOOKUP can't.  :)