From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Matthew Bramble
Sent: Sunday, September 21, 2003 11:35 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] VeriGrime

There are two different classes though of TLD's in question though, gTLD's and ccTLD's.  The only other offending gTLD is the .museum domain, and efforts to wildcard .biz was stopped by ICANN.  Some of the ccTLD's are being used generically, however it seems that ICANN is going about this as an issue for the country in question to decide.

Personally, I believe that the wildcard .museum domains aren't really an issue since this isn't a commercial domain, and only museums can apply for one and there are only 632 such names in existence.

In this context, VeriSign is on it's own, and VeriSign is merely the party currently given the responsibility for maintaining the registry for .com and .net, and not the organization in charge of all such affairs concerning that gTLD.

Hatred for VeriSign should also be shared by Yahoo who is supplying the backend for the search mechanism to work (Inktomi and Overture).

I don't give this very long before it gets pulled.  If it doesn't get pulled, ICANN should be forced to go under a total reorganization.

Matt

Kevin Bilbee wrote:
Lets start this off with I agree Versign has done things in the past that
were on the shady side. But I also feel that on this issue they are being
targeted because they are the largest TLD operator with a wildcard
implementation.

A good side affect is that if I was receiving spam from a nonexistane
.museum domain MAILFROM would not fail. Would Scott have fixed Declude to
handle wildcards?