-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Markus Gufler
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 7:10 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [Declude.JunkMail] How do they do it?

I have no practical solution but you would need something that parses your
SMTP logfile in realtime (like unixtool's tail or the new baretail) and
track occurences of "invalid user" messages. If there are more then X
connection attempts from one single IP in Y minutes causing an invalid user
log entry this IP (or at least port 25 from this IP) should be blocked
immediatly for Z minutes.

Blocking the IP in Imail is problematic because you have to restart the
service every time the IP-list is updated.

I don't know if some SW firewalls like BlackIce or ZoneAlarm allow external
updates for IP-filter tables. Maybe there is also some HW appliance that can
do this.

Filtering by IP in declude junkmail is too late because this will not block
the connection attempts.

Are you sure this joe jobs are the real reason why the amount of spam seems
to increase after you transfer the domain to your own server? What registrar
do you use? There was an intersting argument on this list some days ago
about certain registrars that seems to be here specially for spammers. Or
are you inserting your clients email adress in the whois information after
during transfer?

Markus