From: Matt
Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2004 12:03 PM
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] SPF Records and Off-Network Customers

I believe that SPF is almost all hype and hardly any value to speak of.

It was originally intended to authenticate hosts, but spammers quickly caught on and started giving themselves SPF records ( http://netscape.com.com/2100-1009_22-5357269.html?part=netscape&subj=technews&tag=mynetscape ).  I believe that SPF Pass will soon be primarily spam hits and that study that I linked to said it was already 1/6 of all such results.

Then there is the issue where many domains might use forwarding, E-mail scripts, sites that use E-mail scripts, or any number of different servers, meaning that most are inappropriate for anything but an 'Unknown' record.  Now some administrators will claim a modicum of usefulness to having the Unknown records, although I don't see it, and others appreciate those that do specify their source IP's, I don't see it and let me clearly state why.  First off, it's not SPF that is scoring your E-mail, and even some administrators around here have suggested blocking on SPF Fail alone.  So if I had a domain that had only one server to send from, but I used an E-mail script somewhere for an inquiry to a company that blocks on SPF Fail, I would be shooting myself in the foot.  There are enough people out there misconfiguring their SPF records, and enough people out there that have too much confidence IMO in people setting up their own records to turn this from a minor benefit into a less accurate than desirable solution, and it will only get worse in time as the less aware start implementing them with a one-click solution to limit all E-mail just to one server as far as SPF goes.  There are even administrators out there that have indicated that they would give SPF Unknown results a score.

Personally I refuse to implement SPF because I don't want to give less aware/experienced administrators another tool that they can use to potentially block my customer's legitimate E-mail.  I am also somewhat surprised that so many people are waving the banner of SPF.  The only reason IMO to support SPF is to hope that with the support, it turns into something worthwhile down the road after significant modification.

Seems to me that pushing SPF currently is done more to say that you do it rather than for what SPF does, a.k.a. a buzzword.

Matt