I wonder if others on this list have seen inquiries from their hosting
customers indicating that there will be some good number of domains who will
support it.

But how are they hearing about the Sender-ID records in the first place? Virtually everything points to real SPF.

Besides I have seen Declude "jump" on some pretty "irrelevant" proposals in
the last year. Compared to that SenderID will be relevant from Day 1, if it
helps me to block MSN and Hotmail impersonators.

I can't think of any good reason NOT to support it, even if it was "MSN" and
"Hotmail" only.  These two domains achieve is all that's needed to achieve
critical mass. No?

The problem is that it is only coming to light 11 days before "Day 1". People have had about a year to work on SPF support.

Especially, since it appears to me as if the syntax of SPF 2.0 vs. SPF1
appears so closely related (if not mostly identical) and the development
effort is probably a fraction of what was spent to set up SPF1 originally?

Correct. But there are also the patent issues, and the "muckiness" of it all (I'm having troubles even finding an official Microsoft document that documents this new Sender-ID).

Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers since 2000.
Declude Virus: Ultra reliable virus detection and the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you've been missing: Ask for a free 30-day evaluation.