Hi Scott:

>> But how are they hearing about the Sender-ID records in the first
place?  Virtually everything points to real SPF. <<

Apparently, Microsoft has been promoting SenderID to email mailing houses
(see: http://www.exacttarget.com/) and to their network of Microsoft
Partners, who in turn are educating their customers.

I've had several inquiries by large clients in the past 2 weeks.  Example,
one client writes me:
"I sat through a webinar last week that talked about sender ID and the new
requirements of the CAN-SPAM law."

To be fair, they disclose the fact that the patent issues may lead to a
DIFFERENT standard down the road - but that for now, the Microsoft sites
will use it and that's critical mass enough:

"When do I need to Implement?
 Microsoft plans to start checking for Sender ID records in October of 2004,
so we recommend you publish records by 10/1/04.

 Will the IETF approve Sender ID as a standard?
 There has been lots of talk of this recently. The Internet Engineering Task
Force (IETF) has witheld their support for Sender ID due to a pending patent
by Microsoft on the technology. The IETF will only approve license-free
technologies as standards. This means that though we may eventually have a
different standard from the IETF, all signs still point to Microsoft using
Sender ID, so compliance with it is highly recommended."

Best Regards
Andy Schmidt

H&M Systems Software, Inc.
600 East Crescent Avenue, Suite 203