Andy, Microsoft certainly is an important player.

I just wish that they would stick to the standards that everyone else does.
In order to get mail to them in an orderly fashion, I need to use a static
copy of their DNS record in the DNS server on my mailserver, that I've
cooked to know only about the inbound Hotmail.com and Microsoft.com servers
that are actually responding.

This is because they publish MX records for hosts that are up, but not
accepting mail.  IMail then thinks it's a great idea to try to send to that
host 10 minutes later.  And again.  And again.

They also mix and match some of their HELO, forward lookup, and reverse
lookup.  And they're notorious for having no reverse lookup on their
outbound mailhosts for Hotmail.com

For example, check out:

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

They probably have a decent reason for what they're doing (e.g. DoS
protection and response), but their implementation of it is poor.

Andrew 8)