Hi Mark,

> Andrew,
> We have 3 equal MX records and 3 A records for "load balancing" and
> redundancy.
> We also have a 4th MX which is physically off-site that's a lower
preference
> level.
>
> I put load-balancing in quotes because we still see our number 1 server
take
> the brunt of the load.

Yup, a normal round-robin setup on a DNS server will also rotate the list of
ip-numbers presented to the "client". Most clients will try the first
ip-number given and if that fails try the second etc. As MX records probably
don't get the "normal" round-robin treatment it is allways the first listed
ip-number which is presented first in the list to the client, and which
thereby gets used most often.

I might be wrong but I think that's the reason fo the observed behaviour.

Groetjes,

Bonno Bloksma
.... Back up my hard drive? How do I put it in reverse?

---
[E-mail scanned at tio.nl for viruses by Declude Virus]