I see Alligate as an excellent compliment to our Imail 8.15/Declude 1.82
setup.

I for one was thankful to learn about it through this list, as we've
been struggling with finding an SMTP filtering gateway to sit in front
of our working, stable Imail/Declude setup.  I didn't have any prior
experience with Alligate or Brian so my reading of the announcement was
strictly informational.

I don't see Alligate being a competitor to Imail or SmarterMail.  It
doesn't provide pop3, imap, webmail, or anything of the things that our
customers call their mail server.

It could compete against Declude.  Except it works at the initial SMTP
connection level (Pre processing) whereas Declude works after the SMTP
connection is complete (Post processing).  If Declude offered a stable
pre-processing solution, I for one would sign up immediately.  As I am
not aware of any information from Declude stating they have a solution
for this, we've all had to look elsewhere (5XX, Vamsoft, IMGate, etc).

Dictionary attacks are killing us, as is the volume of spammers hitting
our Imail box.  ANYTHING to minimize what Imail/Declude has to process,
without costing and arm and a leg, or a forklift upgrade is welcome!

Alligate is a step above the 5XXSINK, by including tarpitting, detailed
text logs, secondary SMTP AUTH port, connection blocking, etc.  To me
it's the right solution at the right time.

IMGate wouldn't work for us because my staff doesn't do *nix, and I
don't want to be the only one to support the box ;)  I've got to sleep
sometimes.

Since we let our Imail support lapse and are holding judgment on
SmarterMail until v3 is released, we're in a technical holding pattern
while the spammers continue to assault our servers.

I don't think I'm alone, which means there is an opportunity for someone
and a potential market.  While I love all this stuff, I have to eat too,
and don't fault anyone for turning my pain into their financial gain so
they can eat, if the value proposition is right.

R. Scott Perry got assaulted on the Imail list repeatedly for years for
pushing his wares.  Imail had a gap-in-functionality, Declude seized the
moment and profited by patching that gap.  I was thankful for his
repeated input/arguments and purchased his product - against Imail's own
later offering.

I hope Declude isn't struggling - they are vital to our business.  I
also hope that others aren't silent about other available options,
competitive or otherwise.  This list is so great for learning - where
else can one go to learn more about real-world, ISP-level email
delivery?

Sorry for the ramble, just had to put my .02 in...

Maintain,
Babul

(210) 696-1130, ext. 102
(210) 696-0572 [fax]
Text Pager Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The Montopolis Group, Ltd. - www.montopolis.com
"Building stronger businesses... with Technology"