David Barker wrote:

I did not say that Postini offered a poor service it was a comment from
Matt.
Actually, that was a private comment from and old conversation with me, and I think the point was missed. Postini is the McDonalds of the spam blocking business. It's edible, it even tastes somewhat good, but it's not a porterhouse steak. A few years ago Postini linked to a PDF to a PC World article where they shared the Editor's choice with Brightmail (if I recall properly). Their tested spam blocking rate was 80% for Postini and 85% for Brightmail. Postini shared honors because of their better customer control panel. It was beyond me how they could be boasting about such deplorable results. At that time, I was at 99.5% spam block rates (and getting better), and my customers didn't have a control panel because they shouldn't need one. My customers have me block their spam and viruses because I am the expert and I do a good job, not because of the control that I might give them.

Postini doesn't compete in terms of accuracy, they compete by way of brand recognition and having many resellers. People don't use what they don't know, and you can clearly be tops in the business without having the best results. This same model goes for other services such as hosting and Internet access. The only way to operate successfully in the face of the shirts is to focus on results, relationships, and value added service.

Anyone can jump on board the Postini model and start reselling hamburgers...I will continue serving steaks.