I had two clients contact me today about similar situations. One had confirmation from United
Airlines blocked, while the other had one from Northwest Airlines blocked.

I understand why this is happening, and the necessity for Declude to stop malformed messages that
could allow a virus to sneak through. Nevertheless I feel like I should be doing something (other
than explaining the situation to the clients). Should I try to contact the airlines and try to get
them to fix their software?

It is definitely worthwhile to contact the companies sending the vulnerabilities. There was one airline that we contacted (I think it was United Airlines, but can't say for sure), but they ignored us. Some larger companies will ignore the problem (such as PayPal and Amazon), but some will be more than happy to fix the problem (such as Walmart).

Is there the possiblity of creating a whitelist feature a la Junkmail to
handle this, or is that too risky?

That does get risky. In Declude JunkMail, if a spammer bypasses a whitelist, the worst that happens is someone views a spam. With Declude Virus, though, they could actually get a virus.

I'm just a little surprised that this hasn't come up more often. I am guessing this has happened to
others too. Are others just using education?

One option is to send us one of the D*.SMD files, and we can contact the company that is sending them.

Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers.
Declude Virus: Catches known viruses and is the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you have been missing: Ask for a free 30-day evaluation.