Wasn't this covered when Compaq wrote their own BIOS way back in the early
80s?

AFAIK they had to clean room engineer the BIOS code i.e. the people writing
it were not allowed to see the original source code for the IBM BIOS.

Isn't the entire code covered by the copyright including the component name
and everything that comes after it?

Why use T which is associated with Delphi?

> > Is OP proprietary or not, can they make their own compiler for the
> language?
>
> Nope, OP is an Apple thing, tho I think Borland have extended it
> a fair bit.
> I doubt we can (C) or (P) the syntax. Not that I'm an IP lawyer or
> anything....
>
> > I guess there is a question of whether they copied component source code
> > make their components.
>
> well, if they leave the external interfaces the same, and write their own
> code underneath, its legal, AFAIK - fair use and all that. Just
> the same as
> the wine people using MS's SDK docs to rewrite the Win32API.
>
> > Is there anything in the Delphi license that says it is not
> allowed to be
> > used to create something that looks like Delphi, there is a
> condition like
> > that in the BDE license i.e. cannot make a Paradox like application with
> it.
>
> yup, there always has been - you can't make a Delphi-like product

Patrick Dunford, Christchurch, NZ - http://pdunford.godzone.net.nz/

   Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be
shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with
reverence and awe, for our "God is a consuming fire."
    -- Hebrews 12:28-29
http://www.heartlight.org/cgi-shl/todaysverse.cgi?day=20001228