Corey Murtagh wrote :

> > > I mean from the screen dumps, the source code is practically identical
> > even
> > > to having the component names the same etc.
> > >

> > well, what else ya gonna call a button?
> > TWidgetThingThatsClickedOnAndLooksLikeAButton ;-)
> >

> Point(s) taken, but how if you check out their status page:
>
>   http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/status.php3?&language=english
>
> It's kind of obvious that they're converting the VCL for Lazarus.
>  They have
> a list of all the VCL classes that they want to translate, and as they're
> writing it in Delphi-compatible OP I somehow doubt that it's all
> clean-roomed.  In fact I'd be very surprised if you couldn't find a fair
> amount of the Borland/Inprise VCL code in there somewhere.

Why would you want to copy something without improving upon the original
idea?  If the lazarus project aims to duplicate delphi exactly, warts and
all, then there is no point in the project and everyone may as well go and
buy a copy.  This would be the only way that copying "fair" amounts of
borland VCL code across could work.

But if Lazarus, say, fixes the warts and adds a tweak here, an enhancement
there and tries not to touch windows then there is no way that any
significant amounts of borland VCL code would even work.  It could be used
as a guide though.

Now, I'm not saying I'd be suprised if they did use borland VCL code, I'm
just saying that it would be a silly idea to do so.  The whole 'holding your
self back by nailing your foot to the floor' concept comes to mind.

Just my two cents worth at 2:54 in the morning as I hear The Press being
delivered. (Thrown onto our drive from a fast moving vehicle - hey, is it
illegal to throw things from a moving car?)

Nahum Wild
Game Designer
Realism Ltd

ESDAO - The wargame of a thousand faces.
http://www.esdao.net