snip

> I chose to learn Delphi because it offered me near C++ functionality, but
> with Visual Basic like development speed. I have never quite
> understood why
> more developers did not make this choice.

Because MS Rules, because of the same reasons that you outline below -
mainly MS's market dominance and the fact that both the OS and the products
on it, like VB, are owned by the same company.

> However the above articles make it clear that Microsoft has cloned and
> improved the basic Delphi architecture, and that C# will have the same
> advantage over C++ and VB that Delphi has. Thus Delphi immediately looses
> the competitive advantage that it gave me. C# also has the
> further advantage
> that it will support all the latest and greatest API calls that Microsoft
> releases a lot sooner than Delphi is likely to.

The API calls are supported by Delphi as soon as they are released. You
don't have to wait for Borland to release a source code unit for them.
People translate the C header files that MS supplies for VC++.

Let's rewrite that a little - it will "support" the API calls because MS
will make the information available to their own developers before any
outsiders.

> As Delphi programmers we are better placed to understand and use
> C# than VB
> programmers. Indeed very few of the VB programmers I know are even
> interested in C#! So surely we should all be installing our C# beta kits?

I have no intention of doing so. The whole .NET thing is MS's schema to
dominate the internet as they have attempted to do with operating systems.
It will be interesting to see what effect the US DOJ action has on .NET