C# offers all the advantages of Delphi and then some.

It is the .Net architecture underneath that is targeted at everything else
(including Java). Microsoft weave a very compelling story about the .Net
platform. It is worth reading. If it doesn't exist in the world of fantasy
then life will be different...

As for Java apps targeted at the desktop, just off the top of my head:
JBuilder (a notable example)
Together J
Object Domain
Magic Draw

The last three are graphics intensive, but work well on a PIII 800 Mhz
machine with 256M RAM. Intel has launched the P4, so expect the PIII is on
its way to being an entry level machine...

BTW if you think Java apps are slow, you should have seen Windows 2 on a 286
with a whopping 1M RAM!

Martin