For real time mission critical applications surely something such as QNX
(http://www.qnx.com/) or WindRiver (http://www.wrs.com/index.html) is a more
suitable choice than a stripped down version of Windows?

WindRiver now has a complete Java implementation, so the perhaps this
nullifies the 'too slow to develop' in argument?

I was also amazed that Countrywide bought into Winframe/NT technology.
However, it all did seem to work quite well for them (invalidating some of
my prejudices?).

Martin