> While I accept that the developer finds it easier to develop using Jet
Access stuff ... (the joys of VB ...) if we don't need the relational
database stuff, why not use the KISS principle ?   Am I being paranoid about
this Jet Access stuff - or just healthily cynical ?

I'd avoid Jet if I can - its basically Access, but I have no firm grounds
for that view - just a lot of comments from people who've been burnt.

I know it might be overkill, but as you seam to have Delphi 5 pro, why not
use Interbase 6.0 and the IBX stuff? its not a large app (like, 5 meg or
something to install), it can install silently (tho a manual install is "run
setup, click "next" a lot, wait about 20secs, continue on your way"), its
small-ish foot print (like, about 3 meg of RAM on my machine at the mo -
most I've seen under load is about 12-16meg), its excellent for local
(single user) use, full SQL support (most likely not needed), and is rather
reliable and fast. Just dont use TTables and .first(), .next() etc :)

and its free :)

Worth a look, I think.