I guess Jolon is still using MSIE, right? .. The developer tools that are
built into Google Chrome browser for example are quite good for debugging
HTML/CSS(and even JavaScript). Just right click on the elements whose markup
you want to see and say "inspect" and it will show you all the code and css
applied to the element with a nice little editor that allows you to play
with and modify each property on the fly. Also, developer tools such as MS
Visual Studio (I am doing mostly ASP.NET MVC stuff lately) aren't too bad
either with features such as autocomplete/autolookups/warnings for
non-closed html-tags and invalid markup/attributes, etc .... that makes
writing valid HTML/CSS pretty easy.

As for other opinions on this whole website development talk: I definitely
would stay away from writing websites in Delphi. It might be ok to use if
all you need is a small quick and dirty inhouse webapp or prototype .. but
what you gain in familiarity by using Delphi is quickly offset by
disadvantages. PHP/.NET/RoR have huge communities of developers - if you
have a problem or need some example code/library then just google for it and
you will most likely find something - whereas for Delphi it's mostly up to
you to figure it out .... and then there is the thing about maintenance if
you leave the company, will they still be able to find a Delphi developer to
maintain and lock after the website?). I think it's better to go with more
popular web development languages.

Personally I am really happy developing with the ASP.NET MVC framework.
Never really liked traditional ASP.NET WebForms (viewstate is just such a
bloat and if you try to AJAX'ify the website things can quickly become very
complicated and badly performing) - The new ASP.NET MVC on the other hand is
absolutly fantastic in this regard and a joy to work with - the seperation
of Data/GUI/Logic  (MVC development pattern) is much better and more modular
then the intermingled mess ASP.NET WebForms was.

I also heard a lot of good about Ruby on Rails. As far as development goes
it sounds easy and fast - but seems to have a bit of scaling problems (if
your projects require that, most don't).

PHP is probably the most popular web-language, but never really got to like
it. I don't like "weakly typed" script languages that just break during
execution ... I like my code to be compiled and raise errors during
compilation time if I made some mistake - makes developing/changing existing
code/database tables so much easier and less error prone if you have
everything "strong typed".       ASP.NET also has a couple of goodies that I
probably would miss a lot in PHP  - like, automatic XSS injection
prevention, URL-Rewriting, Localisation, Authorization (user login, roles,
etc), HttpModules that allow you to plug directly into the web execution
pipeline of the IIS webserver, etc. ... I think the ASP.NET framework makes
writing secure and high performing websites a lot easier then PHP does.

Regards,
Stefan