I have been thinking about this myself.

I started trying to get to grips with PHP, but in the end got fed up with
wrestling with HTML and CSS - working with those technologies is like
stepping back in time in terms to tools and "debugging" etc, and I found it
frustrating and tiresome.

So at that point I decided that the next major web project I would do I
would tackle very differently:

   1. Build the functionality as a web service using
      Delphi - something I can then host in Azure or Amazon EC2
      if I wish

   2. Build a Delphi desktop app to exercise and test my
      service (and perhaps provide a desktop app GUI for
      the users)

This allows me to leverage my expertise in Delphi and focus very much on the
functionality of the web site without.  Then, once enough of the web site
functionality is in place in the web service...

   3. Hire a web designer co. to build the web *GUI*

   4. Ditto for an Android/iPhone app if appropriate