As I see it we have 3 different options:

1.) .api.* + .impl.*  because it's more easy to 'grab' any api package in e.g.
an Arquillian test. If we don't have the modulename.api package name, then we
cannot do something like this in Arquillian:
  Shrinkwrap.createArchive(JavaArchive.class).addPackages(true,
"...modulename.api");

Without the explicit .api package name we would not be able to add just the api
module without also adding all the impl stuff as well. (This is needed if we
e.g. like to test single features of the impl module).

The very same will hit us with the maven-shade-plugin where we would not be
able to explicitely shade all classes of the api modules.

thus a +1 for this.

2.) noting + '.internal'

possible, but with the downsides as noted above.
-0.5 thus.

LieGrue,
strub