Michael Davey wrote:

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

It's some months that we have depot, and things have stalled. It happens in Opensource, and even big and succesfull projects have months that seems empty.

But...

Depot is not pushing, it's not getting used. We have to give it another push. I'll try to give a hand, but I'm currently very active on Forrest. and Adam is joyfully bound to Gump, so we'll need all the help we can get :-)

IMHO, the biggest barrier is currently the documentation. I've been following the discussions on this mailing list and checking the website from time to time, but am not prepared to work out all the details of how depot works by reading the actual source. A five-minute tutorial on the key features of depot and a description of how to set up a demo instance to tinker with would be very useful.

What about a "home"? Where will depot live as a tool? For example, is it appropriate as a Jakarta Commons Component? Growth will occur if the project is situated in the proper location such that users can find and will use it. Already seeing successful reuse of Jakarta Commons Components throughout Apache. Depot, as a Jakarta Commons Component would open doors for much reusage throughout Apache as many projects are already using commons components and feel very comfortable with using them. If Depot were a Commons Component, users who already feel familiar with the Commons package layout would feel less apprehensive in terms of picking it up and introducing it as a dependency. More Dependencies = More Involvement.

-Mark

begin:vcard
fn:Mark Diggory
n:Diggory;Mark
org:Harvard University;Harvard MIT Data Center
adr:Harvard University;;G-6 Littauer Center (North Yard);Cambridge;Ma;02138-2901;United States
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Software Engineer
tel;work:617 496 7246
tel;fax:617 495 0438